Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Little Piece of History!

We knew from the beginning that our neighborhood was historical and that is was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, however, we didn't know much more other than that. So I decided to stop by the Commission of Chicago Landmarks Office on a whim to see if I could get any additional information. And even though I had to wait 20 minutes before anyone acknowledged me (typical City Hall fashion), I'm super glad I did. 

During my inpromptu research, I found out that our house was actually built in 1895, NOT 1901 like the MLS record stated.  I also found out that our house was built by a man named Louis F. Childs and it had cost him $3,000.  Another interesting fact I learned was that our backyard (which was much larger then) was an orchard for the Childs' Family.  Given that we're in the midwest, and apples are the most exotic fruit we get over here, I'm going to assume it was either an apple or cherry orchard.


As soon as I shared everything I had found out with Adrian, we both became obsessed with finding more information.  We began searching online for anything we could find on the Childs family.  It turns out that the family had a woodcarving business which leads us to believe that he and his family carved the woodwork on our mantels and spindles themselves.

Fireplace mantel

Staircase spindles

And lastly, we found that Mrs. Childs was the President of the neighborhood Women's Club :)

No comments:

Post a Comment